A First aid kit is the most important part of your backpack when you are going for a trek. So obviously you need to make sure that it has all the essential things you might require when you are out there high up on a mountain away from civilization. Another necessary thing that you need to look out for is that it does not cover much of your backspace and there is enough room for your trekking gear. So to help you choose a perfect compact first aid kit for trekking we have composed a buying guide including the most important points you need to keep in mind while selecting the best kit for yourself.
Buying Guide for First Aid Kit
While planning a trek you need to consider all the situations you could get in that may need different kinds of medical attention and then according to that all the items are needed to be stocked up. We have already made a list of the basic supplies that you might need out there in the wilderness. Go through the following checklist and get the perfect first aid kit for trekking.
● Basic and Common Medications – The most important thing in your first aid kit is the medications, especially painkillers and sedatives. Do look up for the common ones or the combined chemical medicines that could work for different needs. The basic ones are the ibuprofen, Aspirin and acetaminophen that can be used for fevers, pain and swellings.
● Wound Treatments – For heavy and deep wounds simple bandages and antiseptics might not be enough and you may need to clean and sanitize it to prevent infection. For that you need Antiseptic wipes with a base that could clean the wound. Ointments and antibacterial gels are also necessary. A compound benzoin tincture is used before applying the bandage or to prevent allergic infections.
● Bandages and Dressings – The most basic thing in any first aid kit you might buy are the bandages. And here we are not talking about the normal basic ones but every type of bandage. You need to get several pieces of the 4-inch closure strips used for larger wounds and 4-inch sterile dressing pads in case of heavy bleeding. For the blisters and burns non-adherent sterile dressing pads are the best. For heavy wounds, you may need a gauze roll to cover up the dressing and hold it in place. Also stock up on the Adhesive tape. Other than these wound cares you might need to keep eye pads and drops for any kind of eye infection.
● Medical Instruments – A Swiss knife always comes handy when you are away from the civilization. It is a perfect tool that could serve to protect you and also help you in medication. A set of Forceps and Tweezers are also good as they can be used to pluck out the sharp objects like cactus needles or a wood splinter. Safety Pins can also prove very useful in holding together a gauze roll or to pin out sharp objects. Trauma Scissors are very useful as they are blunt at the end and can be used to cut up tape or bandage from a wound without actually hurting the patient. Thermometer is the last thing you might need while you are away. Do remember to take a mercury thermometer as the battery of a digital one may wear out soon.
● Extra Materials – Reseal able Plastic bags are a must for your day trip as they can be used as ice bags to put up on swellings and wounds. Cotton Pads and Cleaning Pads are best to keep for times when the bleeding is too heavy and puncture wounds. Surgical Gloves are a must go as it is highly advisable to not treat a wound with unsanitized hands. Irrigation and Suction Syringes also come in handy and are a basic supply of a first aid kit. If in case you might topple over and fracture some part you may need Elastic Wraps and Athletic Tape to wrap it up tightly.
● Information Booklets and Guides – There comes a hiker’s medical course for the regular trekkers to take on medical treatments so that they are well prepared for every situation.
If you haven’t taken one you might need to keep a medical informational booklet or a treatment guide that contains all the basic information on treating a wound and what to do in abnormal physical conditions.
Best Compact First Aid Kits for Trekking
First Aid Kits are a must for every situation and when it comes to trekking or hiking, it comes handy. Let us go over certain First Aid Kits which consists of all the components required during a trekking event.
- 1 90 Pieces First Aid Kit – All-Purpose with Premium Medical Supplies and Soft Case for Home, Office, Car, Camping, and Travel
- 2 First Response Medical Supplies
- 3 First Aid Only All-purpose First Aid Kit
- 4 Be Smart Get Prepared 250 Piece First Aid Kit
- 5 First Aid Kit Hard Red Case 326 Pieces
- 6 Dixie EMS First First Aid Kit, Red
- 7 Red Cross Safe Travels First Aid Kit-70 ct
- 8 First Aid Kit – 163 Piece Waterproof Portable Kit
- 9 First Aid Only Bulk First Aid Kit
- 10 Medique 40061 First Aid Kit, 61-Piece
90 Pieces First Aid Kit – All-Purpose with Premium Medical Supplies and Soft Case for Home, Office, Car, Camping, and Travel
Having a First Aid Kit whether you are in your home or car or office that doesn’t matter, it benefits people a lot under all type of emergency situations. This pack of First-Aid Kit includes 90 items and also comprises of medical scissors with an emergency blanket and 2 cold packs. The weight of this product is 1.4 pounds which are designed with extra compartments to add all type of medicines you wish to have in your hand.
Features & Benefits
● This product offers customers with the following products like closures, Band-Aids, safety pins, antiseptic towels, eye pads, the tape used in First-Aid, and etc.
● This light-weighted outer bag with more compartments allows customers to organize their personal medicines like head-ache tablets, vomiting medicine, etc. very effectively, which in turn the outer bag provides durability to the customers.
● This can be carried anywhere with your luggage either you go for camping or adventure tour or walking or hiking, etc.
● This product comes at an affordable cost, with the warranty period.
● The availability of other compartments is very useful to fill it according to the customers need.
● As per suggested by the customers, some of the other product like a powder which stops the blood, a larger tourniquet, a user manual, etc. if provided it will benefit more to a customer in their crucial situations.
First Response Medical Supplies
This product of 130-piece First Aid Kit is designed to meet the ANSI and OSHA standard with the outer bag designed as a water resistant type (rip-stop nylon zippered) which provided flexibility and long life.
Features & Benefits
● This product is designed as TRI-FOLD Layout with fast access to all type of materials needed under any emergency situations like a disaster, accidents, family outing, etc.
● It is organized in such a manner that the accessing time will be very small with a clear presentation of contents that customers are in need of.
● Important Products like an emergency blanket, PBT bandage, glove, cooling pad, woven pad, scissors, eye pads, bandage with pencil, guide, note book, etc. are also provided with this pack.
● This product is a portable one which fits perfectly in backpacks, drawers, etc. which is a travel-friendly design product that can be used while going for hiking, walking, adventure trips, family outing, etc.
● This bag comes in a compact size, with warranty period for the customers.
● This product can be purchased at decent cost with all necessary First Aid Kits for the customers.
● Extra Compartments are available to keep additional first-aid medicines to be used under critical conditions.
● Even though it comes at a decent cost, it can even be reduced a little bit to be purchased at an affordable cost by all level of customers.
First Aid Only All-purpose First Aid Kit
This product comprises of 131 pieces of First Aid Kits with essential products for the customers in a compact size for easy carrying. The dimension of this product is 7 x 2.5 x 10 inches and the weight of this product is 15.2 ounces. This product is manufactured by one of the leading manufacturer company meeting OSHA and ANSI standards.
Features & Benefits
● This product comprises of antiseptic towels, plastic bandages, alcohol cleansing badges, first aid tape roll, vinyl gloves, fabric bandage, etc.
● The outer bag comes at compact size with long life.
● It benefits the customers those who are in need of traveling, in the case of accidents, for home, office, family outing, natural disaster, etc.
● More compartments are available which facilitate users to keep their personal medications also.
● Organized in a clear way which allows customers for easy access to products.
● This product comes at an affordable cost for the customers.
● Easy to carry when moving for outside trips, adventure trips, hiking, walking, etc.
● This product is an unbalanced kit which comprises of a lot of plastic bandages.
● This product also contains China made products which are quite toxic.
Be Smart Get Prepared 250 Piece First Aid Kit
This product consists of a total of 250 pieces of First Aid Kit manufactured by one of the most popular leading manufacturer company in the USA. This is designed to meet the OSHA and ANSI guidelines (2009). The weight of this product is 9.3 pounds with the dimension of 10.2 x 3.1 x 8 inches.
Features & Benefits
● This product offers customers with 250 products which can be used by 50 peoples.
● This product comprises of aspirin tablets, non- aspirin, closures, knuckle bandages, eye pads, antacid tablets, scissors, tweezers, etc.
● This is packed in a compact outer bag which can be carried with users’ luggage in case of any trips, hiking, in the car, at the house, etc.
● The warranty year for this product is 2 years.
● This first aid kit can be mounted on the wall and also can be folded for a compact look and easy storage.
● This product comes at an affordable rate for the customers to enjoy its service.
● Consists of multiple compartments which provides an easy access to the customers.
● It is not a waterproof case. It can’t sustain under heavy rain conditions.
● The material is plastic and is not waterproof.
● There are not so many useful products available with this package.
First Aid Kit Hard Red Case 326 Pieces
It is an FDO approved product which is manufactured by one of the leading manufacturing company Total Resources International in the USA. This company is established in the year 1991 and with over 25 years of experience, they have developed high-quality products at an affordable cost. This product meets as well as extends the guidelines of OSHA and ANSI.
Features & Benefits
● It is designed with two layers of organizing the products. One is for keeping the small product and the other is the large products.
● It can be mounted on the wall or can be folded which comes at a compact size.
● It is secured with slide latches for security lock and is manufactured from the highest quality safety standards for adults and for kids.
● It consists of products like antiseptic towels, antacid tablets, aspirin tablets, bandages, eye pad, metal scissor, gloves, antibiotic ointment, etc.
● It comes at an affordable cost to be purchased by all level of customers.
● It is a portable case which has case dimensions as 13” x 12” x 4” inches.
● This kit is suitable for use at Office, Home, Car, School, Camping trips, etc.
● It will break easily because of its plastic case and can also be easily cracked.
● After some minimum use, the bandages don’t get stick properly.
● The Expiry date is less than one year and the quality is not that must good.
First Aid Kit is one of the important and necessary pack to be carried out with us when moving for outside trips. It is also one of the important kits that must be kept in our house, car, school, etc. and for our daily use.
Dixie EMS First First Aid Kit, Red
The Dixie EMS First Aid Kit, Red is a brilliantly packed first aid kit that is very useful for all emergency purposes as it has enough space, contains all ems equipment’s to treat those involved in an accident and is also portable enough to be carried anywhere. It is also available in many colors which make it more recognizable. We will discuss the features and the pros and cons it has to offer.
Features and benefits
These are some of the features that make this product a very viable proposition to customers and make it one of the Best Compact First Aid Kits for Trekking
● It measures 10.5 inches in width, 5 inches in height and 8 inches in diameter making it quite small and portable.
● It comes in many colors such as red, blue and black leaving one with many choices and one can recognize the bag.
● It is stocked with all available first aid and EMS products making one ready for any situation.
● It weighs 2.3 pounds which mean that it is quite light and one can carry it around easily.
● The affordable price makes it a good budget product and the use case helps it on the list of the Best Compact First Aid Kits for Trekking in the market.
● Excellent for certain situations which involve traumas and fatal accidents.
● The kits provided are enough to satisfy the needs of clients.
● Well-shaped to be carried around everywhere.
● Some units may be flimsy and may have little defects.
● The materials used and medicines put inside may not be up to the mark and one will get irritated with what is provided.
● The company may not deliver to what they advertised.
In the end for those who are looking for a budget first aid kit which can satisfy all those needs then this product will satisfy all their needs and at the same time is spacious enough to fill all components to help in medical situations. Its affordable price makes it a must-see product and one will be happy and content with what is there. For those who are looking for a kit that is value friendly in the end then this definitely falls into the category of the Best Compact First Aid Kits for Trekking due to its small size and lightweight dimensions and even space which helps in carrying more medicines.
Red Cross Safe Travels First Aid Kit-70 ct
For those who deal with medical situations and in cases where the effects are sometimes horrific, then they definitely require a kit that is made of a much better material that is more affordable and is able to withstand all given conditions. The Red Cross Safe Travels First Aid Kit-70 ct definitely solves that by being made of plastic and having all the materials enclosed in a case that is easy to open and in the end is durable. It is also extremely cheap making it a very good buy for anyone needing a kit for medical injuries immediately and is in the category of becoming one of the Best Compact First Aid Kits for Trekking.
Features and benefits
● It has a plastic case with a big handle making it easy to use and is very much durable for any situation.
● The box measures about 5.5 inches in width, 1.7 inches in height and 6.1 inches in diameter meaning it is extremely small and can be put anywhere.
● It weighs 6.4 ounces making it extremely light and one to look out for when shopping for the Best Compact First Aid Kits for Trekking
● Features more than 70 items all required for medical situations.
● Includes a gauze which is sometimes quite rare in a few first aid kits.
● Has dividers which means one can put their required medicines anywhere they want.
● Its small size and weight mean that it will not take too much of space and one can carry it around anywhere.
● It could have more materials such as antacids, heartburn medicines, tweezers and even scissors for extreme situations.
● Some medicines may have expired making them unusable.
● Not much of the stuff present here is sterilized making one contract to a virus pretty easy.
The Red Cross Safe Travels First Aid Kit-70 ct is a kit that is extremely cheap for its price and is also at the same time small and light so that it can be carried anywhere. The plastic construction and huge handle means it is easy to operate on and for those who immediately need a kit for their trip which is in a few days then they can definitely check this out.
First Aid Kit – 163 Piece Waterproof Portable Kit
For those who need a kit that is filled to the gills with all the medical supplies and also at the same time do not want to spend money then, they should definitely check the First Aid Kit – 163 Piece Waterproof Portable Kit. there are many kits that want to be in the list of the Best Compact First Aid Kits for Trekking but they miss out on some features and do not deliver on what they promise. This medical kit, however, aims to solve that by proving clients with something that is an all-round package overall.
Features and benefits
● It has materials which are harder built and stronger thanks to more durable materials and that makes the end solution easier and makes the whole process much more accurate.
● All of this comes in a durable nylon case meaning that it is lightweight yet compact and one can carry around as many materials as they want.
● It has more than 163 materials such as bandages, tweezers, saber cards and much more to make one’s life easier.
● Extremely small and lightweight.
● Has tools like a flashlight and scissors for any situations meaning one need not be stressed and worried.
● It is priced well means it is of great value and can gain the title of Best Compact First Aid Kits for Trekking.
● It has a warranty so one can replace the whole thing in the case of any issues.
● Some sharp objects will be blunt when used for the first time meaning the use case is gone completely.
● There will be defects encountered at times and some may have faults here and there.
● Some essential materials may be missing which will ruin the whole experience of a first aid kit.
Well, this product, in the end, solves some of the issues that many of them face in the end to become one of the if not the Best Compact First Aid Kits for Trekking. This one, however, provides a lot of kit by having more than 163 materials which make it more than enough to cover many situations and its affordable price tag make it very good value in the end.
First Aid Only Bulk First Aid Kit
There are many kits on the market that will want to be the Best Compact First Aid Kits for Trekking with their ideas and thoughts but the cons outweigh the pros and one is left in a spot as to decide which one is best for them. The First Aid Only Bulk First Aid Kit however, is one product that does not forget the basics of a first aid kit and provides the end user with an experience that is safe and useful for essential situations.
Features and benefits
● It contains a huge number of materials for treatment and emergency use. 107 to be exact which means one is spoilt for choice as to which one they should choose.
● It passes all standards kept by the OSHA which means one can use it in any place without any restrictions making it the only one to pass the test and be on the list of the Best Compact First Aid Kits for Trekking.
● It is priced well so that anyone can purchase it.
● Essential materials included so that they can be used for emergency purposes.
● Fills the purpose for small trips from camping to even large trips like a world tour and one can even replenish these in nearby medicine shops.
● Some materials will be broken and there will be defects.
● There may not be enough goods for the client’s requirements.
Overall this kit is well priced and excellently packed to place it on the list of the Best Compact First Aid Kits for Trekking as the amount of goods on offer and the experience provided to the customer in the end make it a good product overall and this will fill the purpose for those who want a first aid kit that is simple and functional.
Medique 40061 First Aid Kit, 61-Piece
There are many kits that look to offer the same level of features and kit that the Medique 40061 First Aid Kit, 61-Piece offers but they fall to a certain amount and later are not able to deliver on that front to be on the list of the Best Compact First Aid Kits for Trekking as the value and use case this product offers is unlike anything.
Features and benefits
● This kit can be used in any place ranging from a home to a sports arena and even an office.
● The design and materials used make it very compact and light. Also, space is never an issue as it can be put anywhere
● It contains 61 pieces of medical kit which are enough to help one in their daily life.
● Small and compactness improves portability.
● Huge list of equipment with an instruction manual makes treatment easy even for a layman.
● Has a warranty so that it can be replaced anywhere.
● The box may break and fall off.
● There could be a better selection of medical supplies and more variety could be better with higher build quality.
● There may be a few defects in equipment and medicines may be of the expired variety.